Sunday, April 09, 2006

Palm Sunday


Palm Sunday marks the opening of the much revered Holy Week for Christians. Of interest is the fact that this year's Good Friday will coincide with Khmer New Year (same as Thai New Year). And so for pastoral reasons, fasting will be on Wednesday instead of Friday, so as to join the entire nation in its most important celebration which lasts for a week.

Today as I watched the people (me included) raise and wave their palm branches in a symbolic gesture of welcoming Jesus triumphantly to Jerusalem with joyful shouts of "Hosanna."
Ironically, a few minutes later as the gospel was dramatized by the youth, I found myself one of those shouting this time "Crucify him."

How inconsistent are my thoughts and how confused are my ways. That is why I'm always in need of conversion. Conversion - a metanoia, an internal turnabout, a change of heart; yet for me, simply put it's a "coming to my senses" and "remembering what I am here for?" and basking once again in the experience of Your love.