Saturday, December 31, 2005

Roots and Wings


If I had two wishes, I know what they would be.
I'd wish for roots to cling to, and wings to set me free;
Roots of inner values, like rings within a tree,
And wings of independence to seek my destiny.
(from A Child's Bedtime Song by Denis Waitley)

I was reflecting on the past events. It was nice to see old faces as well as new ones gathering together once a year during the school's Christmas celebration. I noticed that many past pupils take this opportunity to visit their former school and get in touch once again with their classmates of yesteryears. When you see them in their seemingly-endless boyish and girlish chatter, you wouldn't even think they're men and women who work in NGO's, schools, or banks. They simply have that need of revisiting their roots in order to gain their wider wings.

Today, the last day of 05, You remind me once again of my roots - all those things you've sent me since I was in my mother's womb until the present. I am indeed grateful for them - they have shaped me into what I am today.
And as I look forward to 06 - "as I face my fear of falling when I test my wings in flight... Just be there when I need you, to tell me it's all right!"