Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cybercrime and Cyberlaw

A few weeks back I got an opportunity to discuss "Cybercrime and Cyberlaw" to a group of lawyers and their MIS staff at the Sapalo Velez Bundang&Bulilan (SVBB) in Makati.
Although I've given varied seminars before, this is the first time for me to do one professionally related to my teaching of "Computer Ethics" at UPOU's graduate school. It was interesting to meet a group of lawyers whose expertise is on Intellectual Property Rights (the topic I actually treat in my class) and a group of information systems experts handling their databases and digitizing their records (the same type of database project I did for Don Bosco's thesis repository). In short, since I spoke both group's language, I felt at home talking as we started the presentation at 2pm and ended our discussions at 5pm. I gave them a detailed article comparison of the Budapest Convention of 2001 and RA-1017 after reviewing with them computer crimes.

Upon leaving the building, the lady security guard at the lobby read my ID as she gave it back to me and upon finding out my real profession asked whether I said Mass. I said "No, I gave a lecture to the lawyers on Cybercrime" and she scratched her head confused. Well I wasn't.