Friday, August 15, 2014

The Ecstasy in Being Cited


One of the greatest highs of being a newbie in the academe is when your technical paper/thesis/article gets cited by your peers in their works.

The first time I saw myself referenced was in an article about Arthur L. Hammond in Wikipedia. They referenced my paper (Towards a Christian Pastoral Approach to Cambodian Culture), the part which dealt about the translation of the Bible into the Khmer language.

Later my paper (Classroom Questioning Behavior Factors in Cambodian Vocational Technical Institutions) was cited in Dr I-Hsuan Cheng's article  "Case Studies of Integrated Pedagogy in Vocational Education: A Three-Tier Approach to Empowering Vulnerable Youth in Urban Cambodia" found in the International Journal of Educational Development, Volume 30, Issue 4, July 2010, Pages 438–446.

Google Scholar recorded some more citations:
- Gerhard Wiebe in 2011 cited parts of my thesis for his Masteral thesis (Mit dem Evangelium nach Kambodscha) for the University of South Africa.
- John Buckley of Kaiser University cited my journal article (Technology-aided cheating in open and distance elearning: What else do we need to know?) in his conference paper "Exploring a New Model of Academic Integrity: The PACT System" at the Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, Mar 17, 2014 in Jacksonville, Florida, USA.
- Saeed Naseer Saeed Alqahtani of King Saudi University cited the same paper in his article: "Impact of Technology in Classrooms of Saudi Arabian Students in a Midwest University"


Knowing this fills me with a great sense of gratitude to my mentors (the One Up There primarily) who "coerced" me to write. Being cited after all reminds me that what I have written though few have in some little way contributed to the discussions to further the growth of social science. It's consoling to know that I have not written in vain.