Saturday, March 10, 2007

A visit to the orphanage


The kids didn't have classes on the 8th of March (Women's Day), and so a dozen of them decided to visit their friends who are now in the Mercy Ministry Orphanage. Just a note: a few months back we "gave" (outsourced) our 6 youngest orphans to them. They accept below 10 years of age- while we as a rule accept those above 10 for our literacy center. In short, we're starting to niche our competitive advantage (literacy school for the overaged children and skills training for out-of-school youth).


So I got to hike along with the children. I didn't give permission to use the vehicle, how cruel of me! Along the way, as our leading group waited for the trailing group, I saw some of the kids buying some sweets and other stuff with the little money they have. I got curious. I saw Chan (the boy in the front)buying more than he could actually eat. When we arrived at the orphanage, our six former kids (orphans below 10 yrs) excitedly ran to meet us. Boy! it was as if we hadn't seen each other for a year. They immediately exchanged stories with us, introduced us to their new friends and even to their dogs. I couldn't help laughing. Then I saw Chan pluck out from his pocket his goodies and started sharing it with the orphans, not only to his 6 friends but also the new kids he met. The others then did the same. I was deeply touched. Even the poor can share what they have. Imagine what a better world we would have if the rich can share in the same way?


As I was reflecting on this, I remembered how You multiplied the loaves of bread. Your great work happened only when a little boy shared the little he had (loaves of bread and fish). This little event I experienced gives me hope that greater things can happen because of such generosity from the little ones. It makes me believe more in the saying: "Little means much if you place it in the Master's hand."