Sunday, March 25, 2007

Gotta Believe in Magic

Andrea, an Italian magician, performed a few days ago for the kids. It was funny since most of the kids have never seen a magic act before. There was this one boy who kept asking me what he was going to do. So I jokingly said: “He’ll turn you into a goat.” And he answered: “Oh I see, but will he turn me back?” And I replied: “Uh, I don’t know. You just better watch and see.” And watch they did. Andrea made things appear, disappear, and re-appear. He pierced a balloon without popping it, did a rope Houdini, and other such illusion stuff. It’s fantastic to see the wonder in the children’s eyes. It seems they did finally begin to believe in magic…

David Pomeranz once popularized a song “Gotta believe in Magic.” This statement is one way of helping children explore their creative juices and their hope for their dreams. Back then this was what I said to myself in front of seemingly impossible tasks and situations. Sometimes when I am able to achieve something I never thought I could, I simply said to myself: “It must have been magic.” But now as I grow older, I begin to question how I’ve gone through those seemingly insurmountable times. Was it the “magic” or the “gotta believe?” Now I’m more inclined to think it was the latter – “faith.”