Thursday, March 19, 2015

Sleeping Saint Joseph - March 19

This morning at the Mass of the Solemnity of St Joseph, I told the people about how glad my salesian brothers were, when I gave them each a statue of Sleeping Saint Joseph a few days ago. To my surprise not one in the congregation has ever heard or seen this one. So I took out mine and after the Mass we reverenced and pondered its beauty. 
I told them that it was Pope Francis who popularized this devotion last year and during his address to families in the Philippines last January 16. There the Pope mentioned: “I like St. Joseph, he is a strong man of silence. In my desk, I have an image of St. Joseph sleeping. Sleeping, he looks after the church. And when I have a problem, I put a letter under his statue. So that he can dream about it.”

I told them too that when I gave one to my "feminist (lambing lang!)" dean at UPOU, she said she'll put it beside Mary Help of Christians where Mary will jokingly say: "Look at this lazy guy... always sleeping... and he's letting me take care of this baby Jesus all by myself!" 

But you know, it was in St Joseph's slumber that he found the answers to his most difficult life dilemmas. He was betrothed to Mary who was pregnant, and not with his child. That night God gave him the solution to the problem through the angel who said: "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit (Mt:1.20)." And later after the birth of Jesus at Bethlehem after the Magi had left and they were warned of a plot against the child, Joseph once more got his answer in a dream: "Get up! Take the Child and His mother and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you; for Herod is going to search for the Child to destroy Him."

In our life, many times we spend sleepless nights worrying too much in search for answers to our problems. Sleeping St. Joseph could be a reminder for us that resting in prayer we could better hear God's voice. And as we leave our problems tucked under our pillows when we sleep, we are actually trusting the Almighty to get us through those seemingly impossible tasks of life.


References:

Inquirer.net. (January, 2015). http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/665334/pope-francis-proves-that-sleeping-solves-problems

Vatican Insider. (April, 2014). http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/the-vatican/detail/articolo/francesco-francis-francisco-33839/