Monday, August 28, 2006

EAO Salesian Brother's Convention



From the 21-25 August, Don Bosco Cambodia (Phnom Penh) hosted the East Asia- Oceania Region's Salesian Brother's Seminar (click on the link for more technical information). On the 22nd, although some of our students had to present some dances, I chose to remain in Sihanoukville, until a telephone call from one of them beckoned me to take the bus to Phnom Penh. That evening I met my good old friends, many whom I haven't seen in years especially those whom I've worked with in Papua New Guinea, Thailand and Philippines. I got the chance to meet other brothers too from Australia, Vietnam, Korea, Japan, China, Samoa, Indonesia, Timor, and Mongolia. Some 15 of them did in turn visit us in Sihanoukville on the 26th.

So, what is a Salesian Brother? He's a "lay person" and yet "a consecrated religious." Don Bosco envisioned them to be in places or works where priests cannot or would not thread. Being a lay person he is able to be involved in the world, and yet being consecrated he is commited to poverty, chastity, and obedience, and of course community life.