Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Something funny happened on my way out of school

Today I picked up from our school my much-awaited and long-overdue MBA diploma and transcript. It took longer than usual because they have added documentary requirements like High School diploma/document (Form 137 in the Philippines). Problem is… the high school I went to is now buried in lahar together with all the documents. The irony was that I couldn’t prove that I studied and finished my high school studies in a school of which I later became its HS principal.

As I was driving our van out through a narrow exit passage, there was this coed student who was trying to fit in her motorcycle to park in a small space along the turn. As a result I hit its back side and damaged the park lights. Here in Cambodia with a little incident like this, everybody becomes curious. Before you could spell “hello” a big crowd has gathered around the poor motorcycle and the girl. The girl was probably more shocked of the crowd rather than of the incident.

I parked my car a few meters from the “accident” and approached the girl for the “negotiation process.” Along with the curious onlookers we surveyed the damage to the park lights. I asked the girl how much I could offer to settle in order for her to buy a new set. The shy girl was more confused than ever because it was probably her first time to be put on a “limelight.” In the end, I gave her $5 so that she could replace the park lights. And a smile lit everyone’s faces. Luckily, I was among I was among cool headed and kind persons. But if are a foreigner amongst a rowdy group, you’ll have to shell out $20 on a situation like this. So that’s how I got to "flee the crime scene."

I remember now that You have two friends Micah (6:8) and Ezekiel (18:23) and they once wrote on what to do in a situation like this: “to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk (drive) humbly!" Hope I learned my lesson.