Saturday, June 01, 2002

My Battambang Immersion


Would you believe it? This month and next, I am sitting down and learning with these grade 2 kids. That means listening to their teacher, reading their lessons, doing their tests (they like to look at my answers, I also like to look at theirs though!). I'll have to speak the way they speak and play their games (looks like my second childhood).

At first I thought, I couldn't imagine how one like me with degrees and honors, one who has taught at the university, given seminars to teachers and executives... how could I sit down at this grade 2 desk? Well I must admit, in Khmer (Cambodian language) THIS is my level and I can't use all my past laurels to cheat on this one! This is where I am and where I start to go through the process. Hopefully this will give me a better understanding of the language as well as the people... or rather the children (but anyway, it's really fun... but shhh... don't tell them that, they might call me back to Phnom Penh if they find out).